Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Hunger vanished today

I'm usually fairly hungry most of the time, especially since hiking the PCT. My main strategy to deal with hunger is to identify healthy low-calorie foods and then try to fill up my stomach with as much of it as I can so that I can go a long time without eating. This strategy doesn't actually work though. Of course, eating very little doesn't actually work, either. So that's been the closest I've been able to come to success so far.

Today for breakfast I had some creme fraiche, which is sort of a cultured cream. I mixed it 1/2 and 1/2 with my homemade yogurt. I put a few nuts on top. I have no idea the calories, but with about 1/4 cup of cream, it had to be a lot. Thing is, I didn't eat lunch. I wasn't hungry. I wasn't hungry the whole rest of the day. I even exercised during my whole lunch break.

I'm usually starved by lunch and I exercise in a starved state and then eat my lunch in a ravenous state. This was quite a change. It's odd to feel so calm about it.

I'm hungry now, though. We'll see what dinner has in store. Will I make dinner? Will The Man? Who knows.

2 comments:

  1. I've been going low-carb for the last 2 1/2 months as well.

    The main advantage is not being hungry. Before low carb I was hungry all the time. I thought I had an eating disorder.

    I started low carb after reading a book called, "Why we get fat and what to do about it."

    I don't really like meat but it keeps me more level.

    Your diet sounds really good, mine only allows 20 net carbs a day... which is pretty much just lettuce, radishes, meat,fat,and a little cheese.

    Latter this month I'm off to another Vippasana retreat where I will be eating vegetarian. I'm looking forward to the oatmeal.

    -crow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the hunger was feeling like I had broken myself with all the hiking. I guess I actually did. I'm not following any specific prescriptions. No measuring or counting. Just closer to better. The Archevore website (archevore.com) is pretty level-headed about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete