Friday, August 05, 2022

To Lima Day 5: Shuffling slowly to Lima

I’m starting at mile 825.9. Ending at mile 841.5. 15.6 miles. I really thought it was only 9.7 but apparently I’ve been in the Bermuda Triangle. 

I watched a hiker walk the ridge above the spring in the remaining glow after sunset while I was lying in bed. Later I saw movement up there and it was an elk. I watched him for a while and then he descended to some trees below the ridge. In the middle of the night I was awakened by what sounded like big boots crunching up the trail toward my tent. I hoped whoever it was wouldn’t run into me. Then I wondered who hikes at night without a headlamp? I realized it was probably the elk. I heard the footsteps fade away from me and I fell back asleep. 

My alarm didn’t go off so I got the usual 6:30 start time. I trudged up and down the remaining hills until I got to the alternate route which would take Modoc Creek instead of continuing to walk the PUDs along the ridge. It was a steep and difficult road down, filled with round cobbles that were easy to slip on or roll your ankle. It was slow going. The bottom was flat and followed a small stream. There were lots of flowers and butterflies. 



I got one bug bite and two stings behind me knees which had me fantasizing of ways I might solve this daily problem without DEET. If I could buy a big bandana I could wear my existing big bandana on the front and another on the back and maybe that would be harder for the flies and whatever stings me from getting at the backs of my knees. If I could get a small bandana maybe I could cut it in half and tie each half around each knee. Or maybe I could find a long sleeved shirt and the sleeves could fit around my knees. I sent the lower legs of my pants home because it was very warm every day and one leg had torn in the Bob. 

The hike down the road dragged on and on. I was getting hungry. My water was warm and there was no shade to sit and eat anything that needed water added. I ate some cookies and candy. I was pretty sure I’d be in town for lunch. The hours went on and I looked at the app. I had gone 9 miles but I was nowhere near the end. That’s when I learned the app must have lied about the distance. Now I hoped only for dinner. 


The heat of the sun was unrelenting. My feet were getting tired. I felt so spent and wasted from all these days. I started getting nauseous. I was thirsty but worried I’d run out of water. I chewed a Nuun tablet while sipping warm water hoping it might revive me. It made me feel worse. 

I met a few NOBOs but I didn’t want to talk. Anyone who asked me how I was doing I’d answer “I’m dying”.  Or if they’d ask if I’m enjoying the hike I’d say “No”. 

I wasn’t enjoying it. I felt like every day I had less energy than the previous. I’d walk slower. Being so alone was bothering me but it was hopeless I’d ever find anyone with a sub-two mile per hour pace, or anyone who quit for the day no later than 7 and who preferred to sleep in the trees rather than fight the wind out in the open. I felt doomed to loneliness and a slow wasting away of my energy. I felt like I’d reached the end of this hike. I felt like a failure. 

At long last I reached the underpass where a shuttle would periodically take hikers to Lima. A couple of section hikers had already called so I didn’t have to wait long. It was a long drive to Lima. 

I got a real hotel room. I would be able to sleep. The room was so nice, cheap, quiet, cool and comfortable I paid for 2 nights. I would take time to rest, eat, be clean and un-stung and decide if I can go on. My first zero day. 




1 comment:

  1. You are far from being a failure. You've hiked a very long way under difficult conditions, without support. If I remember correctly, you intended to hike as far as you could or wanted to, and you have done at least that. Give yourself the credit you deserve! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete