Sunday, July 31, 2022

To Leadore Day 5: Another day that starts easy and ends in hills.

I’m starting the day at mile 694.7. I’m ending at 721.3. I hiked 26.6 miles. 

The day started downhill and flat through shaded forest. It was nice to cruise along. But any time there was a noticeable incline it felt a lot harder than it should. 

I met 5 NOBO hikers, real ones who had started in New Mexico and were not flipping around. They looked so healthy and fast. Unlike me. 

In 17.5 miles I reached the water source. It was a spring off trail. It was in some kind of little historical park or something. The water was considered to possibly be the headwaters of the Missouri River. 


Rather than walk all the way back along the dirt road back to the trail I went cross country and found the trail. The trail was now a dirt road and would remain that way for the rest of the day. I was not sure of this at first though, so I watched the app and my surroundings so that I wouldn’t miss anywhere the trail might reappear like I did the last time. I also watched the footprints in the road. If they disappeared I would know I missed a junction. But they never disappeared and once the road became a grueling uphill I knew this was the trail for the rest of the day. 

Around 6:30 I reached the junction to a spring. This was my goal for the day. Clean cold water came out of a pipe surrounded by pink monkey flowers and other colorful flowers. After I got water I looked for a campsite and found one that even had Altra shoe patterns in the dirt. 


I set up camp and ate my dinner cold since it had been so hot in the afternoon. I think I might be camped be in Idaho. I am going to Leadore Idaho tomorrow. I have 17.6 miles to go to the road to Leadore. I am running out of food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment