Wednesday, July 27, 2022

To Leadore Day 1: Nero to a tent site.

I hiked 5.7 miles to a tent site. It was dirt road all the way. My pack was heavy. There was a nice spring to get water before the tent site and there wasn’t a chance for water again for 5 miles. 

I got a late start leaving town. There was a lot of dithering about the fire ahead and the bad wind coming tomorrow and whether or not we should proceed. It was really hot in Darby and that made the idea of hiking unappealing. In the end I decided I would just go. I saw a few had also decided the same. Lotus was going to skip this section but as I was leaving she was running to the grocery store to buy her resupply. 

It took me three hitches to get back to the trail. The first one left me at Connor. The guy was goofy and told me lies. Said he was a firefighter but he had no muscle and his skin looked like he never went outside.

The second was a more normal guy. He left me in front of a campground. 

As I stood in the blazing sun trying to get a ride I watched a couple in their motor home struggle with mechanical problems. They backed it down the hill and then somehow stopped it partially in the roadway. Cars would veer around it. I felt a little nervous being right there. The man finally got out to push it out of traffic then tried to start it but it would not start. 

The sun was hot and I did not feel well. I walked into the forest service campground and found a bathroom. I felt a little better after. I should have written down the name of the campground because it was a nice one. 

Back on the road I soon got a ride from a really cool guy who was going mushroom hunting and was going to the same parking area where the trail is. He was really nice and finally someone not on drugs or political or weird. 

I ended my day in the tent site with Lotus and two guys. My stomach was not right so I just had a little snack and some emergence-C which was unfortunate because now my food wouldn’t be any lighter tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment