Thursday, July 21, 2022

To Darby Day 4: Transition zone

I’m starting at mile 590. Ending at mile 614. 24 miles. There are 2 miles left to the highway to Darby. 

The day’s hikes had the feeling of a transition zone. Like how the PCT will have dull stretches in between the more interesting higher places. There wasn’t much to say about it. There were a few spots with nice views but most of it was dry and boring and in various states of regrowth after fires. At least the weather was mild and the grade gentle. I made good time. I saw nobody else for the entire day. 


There was a 17 mile water carry. I took about 4 liters from the last reliable source to last the rest of the way to Chief Joseph Pass. I made some pudding to eat later, which I did at 2:30 while sitting in the shade cooling my feet. 

I had cell service and called Tony. 

I pretty much just put my head down and put in miles until about 6:30 when I stopped at a tent site listed in the app 2.2 miles from the Chief Joseph Pass exit. There was a truck and small RV nearby. I hoped someone would come out and offer me a cold drink but they didn’t. 



No comments:

Post a Comment