Monday, October 17, 2011

Coconut butter for backpacking

I found a great product today at the health food co-op. It's called coconut butter. It's different from coconut oil or coconut cream. I guess it's like as almond butter is to almonds, coconut butter is to coconuts. It has 186 calories in 2 tablespoons. The jar says not to refrigerate after opening. It is solid until about 80 degrees. The label suggests warming it a little and spreading it on things, or using it to make homemade energy bars. It may make a delicious backpacking food. It could be added to oatmeal or other hot foods or if it's spreadable, I could spread it with almond or peanut butter in a sandwich. Perhaps some kind of homemade energy bar with nuts and cocoa nibs would be good. Apparently many people just eat it right out of the jar with a spoon. I haven't opened it or tasted it yet, but I imagine it is probably a lot better tasting than olive oil, something I have struggled to eat on backpacking trips because it just makes my pot hard to clean without adding any appreciable taste. It was a little expensive, but I think it's worth a try.

I'm planning or at least hoping to go backpacking around Thanksgiving weekend. Either over Thanksgiving or just before or after it. I want to thru-hike the Gene Marshall Piedra Blanca National Recreation Trail. Actually, I want to yo-yo it. Ha ha. The trail is 18 miles long, but it should actually be just right for a long weekend. I can visit Fishbowls camp to add a little extra distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment