I got poison oak from hunting mushrooms last week. I knew I would get it. I try not to worry about poison oak too much. It's just a rash.
I've discovered a pretty effective home remedy for relief from the itching. I use a hot compress when the itching feels really bad. Tonight I had an angry red welt that itched like crazy. I put the hot compress on it and after a while, the itching subsided and the angry red welt was almost gone.
I've done this each evening when the poison oak seems to flare up. It really does relieve the itching.
During the day I haven't even noticed the poison oak for some reason. I don't claim this is because of the hot compress. I really don't know why it hasn't been very bothersome this time. I've got quite a lot of it on my legs.
I have an additional theory that poison oak is a good treatment for the common cold. I started catching a cold last Thursday or Friday. But it hasn't amounted to much. I had a sore throat for a day and a half. I had a little mucus for a day and a half. Otherwise, I've felt fine. My theory is the poison oak was such as assault, my immune system was in high gear before the cold could really take hold. It may have helped I took a lot of Vitamin C, too.