Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Memories of the PCT flash into my mind

It's been a year since I left for my hike last year. I left on May 25, which was Memorial Day. This year Memorial Day was the last day of May. Last year I had hiked all the way from Santa Barbara to Hikertown on this day.

Every now and then I get these flashbacks from the trip. The other day I was just minding my own business when suddenly a vision of myself sitting in the sun looking at the Columbia River flashed over me. I was suddenly filled with amazement that I had ever been there at all. It's a long way just to drive and I walked there. It's an incredible feeling.

I miss hiking the trail. For as unhappy as I was much of the time, it was the greatest experience of my life. I hope some day that I can return.

I think all the time of how can I return. Could I live somewhere closer? The Man dreams of buying this dude ranch that was for sale near Burney Falls. I wondered today if I could get a job in Mt. Shasta City. The Man says encouraging things lately. His sub-200 mile trek on the trail gave him the bug and opened his eyes. He is much more relaxed. I think he sees the light at the end of the tunnel. He did the math and knows he could live on renting out his house. He's home free. So when can we leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment