Friday, February 19, 2010

Robbed

I was awakened last night to The Man sobbing. He had been trying to do his taxes when he realized he hadn't received a form from one of his banks. He called them and discovered that someone had hacked into his account and slowly stolen all of his money.

No matter what happens next, he'll never see his money again. All the time it represents has been stolen along with it. It is a loss of all the days in the past that he toiled to earn that money, and all the days in the future that he had hoped to enjoy in leisure.

The more I work with computers, the more code I see behind the scenes at various companies, the more I know that it's all so tenuous. It's all barely held together with tape and rubber bands. I have no faith in the system anymore. Not in the one that says if you work hard you will be rewarded and not in the one that says our way of life is the envy of the world. It is all just an illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment