Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Homemade deodorant

I make my own deodorant. I got tired of buying deodorant. It is expensive, often does not even work, and comes in a plastic container that you have to throw away, adding more toxic plastic to the environment. Some people believe that the active ingredient in antiperspirant is toxic to the human body. My homemade deodorant does not have that ingredient.

I did not use deodorant all during the summer while I was hiking the PCT. It would not have done me any good. I got used to not using it. I think I sweat less under my arms now.

I make my deodorant with baking soda and cornstarch. I put a small spoonful of cornstarch and two or thee small spoonfuls of baking soda into a small, plastic container. I got the container in a package with other containers sold as a kit of little containers for camping. Then I add a tiny bit of water to make a paste. I also add a little bit of essential oil for fragrance. This time I used a cucumber scent. It smells like cucumbers similar to how Midori melon liqueur doesn't really taste like melons.

I have been using this now for a month. It really works. I have gone for long walks around town, gone hiking, and it prevents odor. I still smell like the cucumber fragrance when I go to bed at night. I do get sweaty, but not stinky.

It makes me happy that I can have deodorant for a fraction of the cost with far less environmental damage and less of my hard-earned money going to help some big giant corporation dominate the earth.

I would like to learn how to make my own skin lotion next.

No comments:

Post a Comment