Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I miss the trail today

Today I feel sadness and longing for the trail. I miss it.

These feelings were triggered when I heard a bird outside that reminded me of the bird sounds on the trail. I walked outside in the cold air and remembered the cold morning air of the trail. I hiked this weekend and felt out of place in such a dry, brown landscape. I tried to remind myself that this landscape is my home, but my heart was remembering the moist forest of the trail.

I still have not found a job. I had an interview with a small company. It seemed like it might be a nice place to work. Today as I walked to the La Huerta garden to do my volunteer work, and then walked home with a huge bag of fresh bananas and tomatoes, I kept thinking to myself that these could be the last days of my freedom. I don't want to return to the cubicle.

Perhaps I should just get a retail job. Serve some coffee. Stay free just a little while longer. I can listen to the whales again. Slide by on low wage, low stress labor. Take community college courses. Will The Man in the house understand?

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday I drove past Manning Park; I miss the trail as well.

    I worked on a paving crew for 20 years because the money was good.

    Now, I say, "Any summer not spent on the paving crew I'll call a success."

    Hope you can avoid the cubical.

    ReplyDelete