Friday, October 30, 2009

At work once again

The program at the whale factory is finally up and running so once again I am employed. I worked the maximum they said we are allowed, which is six hours. My hand hurt after about 3 hours so I switched to the other hand for the last 3 hours. Despite what most people think, using a computer is treacherous work.

I took several breaks to walk around the building and around the neighborhood. The neighborhood is in the rundown area near the airport. I walked around the old drive-in theater that is now long term airport parking. I remember when it was a drive-in. I saw lots of movies there long ago.

Today I found a bicycle hanging from a eugenia tree. I decided that if it is still there next time I go by, I will take it home.

As I walked, I realized how happy I am. It makes me happy that I'm not part of the rat race. I hope I can stay out of the rat race. I like having a job with no stress. I think I need to always live this way. Life is not worth living when it is full of stress no matter how much money they give you.

I have been reading web sites written by people who rejected normal society. It is interesting reading. Some of them live in a way that reminds me of the PCT. They live by trail magic every day. Others of them do other things, such as run an urban homestead growing 6000 lbs of food on only 1/10th of an acre of land in the middle of the city. Some people threw all care to the wind, put on a backpack and traveled the world. It is interesting to read how they get by. It gives me hope for the future.

It's not that I plan to completely drop out. I like to work. I enjoy the camaraderie of the workplace and feeling like I'm a part of things.

What concerns me is that it seems that I no longer have the opportunities I once had. Doors seem less open to me than when I was younger. It may be the economy or it may be permanent because of my age. The southern California sun and all my hiking haven't exactly been kind to my skin. Whatever the reason, it does not seem wise to be too dependent on the whims of the current system.

Reading about how other people survive gives me hope for my own future. I have more options than I thought. Somehow I will survive, too. I just have to take it one day at a time, and stay always in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment