Monday, March 02, 2009

Got a raise

Red letter day: I got a raise at work.

I can't remember the last time I got a raise. In the corporate world, they don't give raises anymore. They give excuses, pay cuts and lay offs. Sometimes they even give you raisins, which don't fool me. The word "raisins" sounds like "raise", but raisins are not the same as a raise. When I was in the corporate world, despite all the praise, which again sounds like "raise" but is not the same, I had not seen a raise in years. But I got one at my humble job listening to whales.

They told me I get a raise because I am reliable, work more than the hours I committed to, I make good decisions (about what calls to count and how to classify them) and because I don't create more work for them. How about that? A merit raise for doing a good job. It's like the good old days again.

No comments:

Post a Comment