Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gear gear gear

Oh boy, I've ordered more gear. What is wrong with me?

Anyway, I ordered a bivy sack even though I think maybe I won't really need it. I will give it a try and see how I like it. It may add some warmth on colder nights and maybe I can sleep in it without my sleeping bag on hot nights. I bought an inexpensive and very lightweight one from Equinox. Only 6 ounces or so. I can carry it on crazy day hikes with Tony instead of the emergency blanket.

I also ordered rain chaps. Rain pants are always so uncomfortable. The crotch usually ends up down at my knees. Chaps will be so much better for me. Only 3 oz. and so tiny I can carry them on day hikes.

The only rain thing I do not have now is a light rain jacket. I have a rain jacket, but it is not all that light. Many people have said that my windshirt and my umbrella will be sufficient. I'm hoping so. Meanwhile I'm debating whether I should get a poncho. I've never been kept dry by a poncho in the past. Ray Jardine suggests just putting your stuff in plastic bags inside your pack and wearing a light shell and umbrella. I have used umbrellas hiking and they are just so sensible you have to wonder why everyone doesn't use them.

Next up, I need to find shoes that won't ruin my feet like the pair that drove me off the trail. Funny how feet work. Some people love the Montrail Hardrocks. I was nearly crippled by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment