Saturday, January 17, 2009

Chick hardware store

The other thing I did yesterday was make a trip to the chick hardware store. That's what I call the craft store. I find great stuff there.

This time I went hoping that I could find something to replace my stove. I have a stove that is a small, lidded, metal tin with burner holes that is placed inside a slightly larger can. I would always store the stove inside my titanium cooking pot after dinner. But the pot was usually wet after dinner so the stove rusted. The lid on the inner burner has rusted to the point I can't get the lid off anymore.

I considered making a beer can stove and a catfood can stove. The beer can stove seemed more complicated than I was willing to put up with. The catfood can stove looks nice and simple, but requires me to buy catfood. I don't have a cat. What I like about my stove is the simplicity of simply removing the lid and pouring in fuel.

My plan was to see if the craft store had anything to replace my inner burner container and if not, I'd peruse the grocery store for people food in the same sized cans as catfood, hopefully finding something without that nasty plastic lining. I was in luck. I found a package of small, lidded, metal tins intended to make candles at the craft store. Four of them for $3. That's way cheaper than catfood.

So now all I have to do is figure out how to poke holes to make the burner. That, and find my stove. What the heck did I do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment