Saturday, April 05, 2008

Packing my food

I hate planning. I'm just not a planner. Planning seems to be the opposite of being a true nomad.

Here I am sitting amidst an enormous pile of food and packaging trying to put it in boxes, trying to imagine myself eating it on the trail and wondering if it isn't all just way too much. I've never brought this much food backpacking before. Do they really believe you can eat 1.5 to 2 lbs a day? It looks like an awful lot of food to me. I'll have to eat from sun-up to sun-down to consume it all.

Good lord, I'll have to carry it too! Oh my! What did I sign up for? A week's worth of food is hard enough, but 10 days? I hope I can walk faster than that after a while. Those first two or three loads will be heavy though.

I got down to my last box for Belden PO. I'll be eating some mashed potatoes for lunch and have pretty much only starchy things to eat. That's ok though because it's the box before Mom's house. Maybe she'll have steak or fresh fish for me there.

I only have 5 boxes to mail. I'm mailing them rather than relying on gas station food. The rest of the time, which is most of the time, I'll resupply in stores along the way. I'm pretty sure it will work out fine.

One resupply I intend to make even though it might not logically make sense is to go to Lone Pine. Part of living this dream has involved all the times I went to Lone Pine and ate at that Pizza place and imagined what it would be like to be a thru-hiker eating there instead of just a muggle. I've also dreamed that someday I'll own that Pizza place, or one like it in a town somewhere and I'll build a special room where all the thru-hikers can come and hang out and have cheap beer, pizza and ice cream and a shower. There will be things all over the walls, pictures and stories and whatever else all telling stories of the hikers' great adventures.

This is my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment