Tuesday, August 02, 2022

To Lima Day 2: steep hills all day sometimes without trails

I’m starting at mile 754.6. Ending at 776.7. That makes it 21.9 miles. 

I learned that the rude people who woke everyone up were the crew that Wrecking Ball hikes with.

I’m not sure I’m a thru-hiker. I mean, I am a section hiker because I’m not going the whole way, and I didn’t hike the pct all in one go. So I’ve never been one to geographically be a thru-hiker. As far as the culture goes I’m not a thru-hiker either. I’m glad I came out to hike the cdt but I’m not sure I’ll do this again. I just don’t have a tribe I belong with out here. 

I did not get an early start. I did not sleep well. My bag was too hot and my spot wasn’t level enough. My legs were twitchy and itchy and sticky. The benedryl didn’t work. I should fix the time on my watch so the alarm goes off in this time zone. I was only 15 minutes late. 

The trail continued the straight up climbs. Then it gradually descended and was fairly level and much easier. It went by lakes and trees and creeks in between periods of barren sage scrub. 


Then the trail began a series of big climbs with and without trail. There were places where you had to follow posts and large cairn markers. Sometimes I could not see the next one so I had to use the app to find the way. Without trail, it was hard going up, down or flat. The ground had lumpy tufts of grass, rocks and animal holes. 




On the last big hill I had a little cell service and I tried again to download topo maps for Gaia. I wasn’t successful. There is a short-cut coming up but without the maps I can’t see the roads to follow. I have no friends who would help me, show me the way and wait if I fall behind. 

After a long day of hard work I decided I would stop after 12 hours. I found a nice spot in the trees within hearing distance of the creek. I watched all the SOBOs I saw in Leadore go by to do a big hill while I ate my dinner. I heard hikers go by for hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment