Friday, July 29, 2022

To Leadore Day 3: Lots of hills and lakes

I’m starting at mile 644.5. I’m ending at mile 668.7. I hiked 24.2 miles today. 

I made it my goal to get 24 miles in. It took me 11.5 hours to do it. The hills, and there were many of them, are so steep I cannot walk very fast up or down them. 

I finished off the big climb from yesterday first off. It was much better fresh after resting and sleeping. I was a little sore and still slow but it didn’t crush my soul. 

The trail then traversed some and stayed pretty high for a while before doing the usual drop down and climb up again. The highest of the climbs brought me to 9100 feet. After that the trail was all downhill and with 3 hours to go before 7pm I made it my goal to reach the bottom at 7200 feet and 24 miles. 

There was a lot of interesting scenery that is best shown in pictures. Other than a northbound hiker who had no interest in stopping to talk, I saw no other hikers. I did see a group of girls trail running with their coach. He gave me some fruit gummies. 



I camped in a little nook by a noisy creek. It was a warm night and the thick forest and solitude reminded me of Oregon and Washington. 


No comments:

Post a Comment