Monday, July 04, 2022

Marias Pass


I became more or less trapped in the vortex of East Glacier. I needed to spend the weekend waiting to be able to call the UC Retirement services center to figure out why they are asking me to sign papers with the wrong retirement dates and why they are sending me COBRA forms. I was pretty sure this is just automated stuff but they have behaved so incompetently and inconsistently I have had to verify and fix their mistakes on a number of occasions. This meant my Monday would be spent on hold for 3 or 4 hours. I have the hold music memorized. 

A group of hikers was planning to drive out to the Marias Pass trailhead at mid morning to hike northbound back to East Glacier. Slack pack, leaving the tent pitched at Luna’s. So I waited around for this chance to hike sociably. But I became impatient and decided to go on my own. 

I made a hitchhiking sign and right away got a ride from a lady who had given a ride to Necktie and Van Gogh a few days ago. She took me to Marias Pass and I hiked back to East Glacier, 15 miles connecting the dots to the trail I took to Scenic Point and Two Medicine a few days ago. 

I hiked alone the entire time. The trail was level and forested and quiet. I never once hollered out for bears. It was too peaceful for such noise. Much of the time was spent in concentration trying to find easiest ways through mud. There was not a cloud in the sky and the river that only a few days ago looked swollen seemed significantly tamer now. 

After the hike I returned to the vortex to talk trails with the other hikers and jam with Van Gogh. He brought a small guitar and I brought a small mandolin. I debated with myself whether or not to send it home. I debated whether or not to buy more Altra Lone Peaks. I’ve worn these for a week and they are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever hiked in. But they already show signs of wear.

I talked to Tony on the phone. He went to a Bob Dylan concert and said it was awful. We decided maybe to skip trying to call UC Retirement about the paperwork we received. That means a trip to the post office and into the Bob I go. It’s possible it will take 10 days to get to the next town. 


No comments:

Post a Comment