Thursday, July 14, 2022

To Helena Day 5 in this section: cruiser trail to start, straight up hills to end

I’m starting this day at mile 314. I’m ending it at mile 333. 19 miles. 

We camped last night at an outfitter and he opened his shop at 7am. It was an amazing shop. He had everything. More stuff than an REI crammed into a tiny building. I bought a good rain jacket, some replacement line for my tent, a couple extra stakes and food to get me to Helena. 

The trail started out cruiser in the morning and ended up with straight up mountains in a thunderstorm with blowdowns thrown in for good measure. With all the rain the rolling hills of the surrounding countryside was so green. The rounded hills we climbed were green and full of wildflowers. 



Our group of four, the group of five and a solo guy were all aimed for the same campsite .4 miles from a pipe spring. Mango and FastCash went further. 

The trail was exhausting. The hills were steep and also very rocky. My body is always wet. If not from my own sweat then from rain. I got a chill at dinner which we all ate around a small fire. My clothes are always wet. 


I made camp under a tree in a place where cows like to be in a meadow full of cow shit.  It turned out to be a great campsite. It rained hard and the wind blew hard but I was protected. In the morning everything was dry. 


No comments:

Post a Comment