Tuesday, July 12, 2022

To Helena Day 3 in this section: Straight up and down mountains

I’m starting this day off the trail. I have to hike 3.4 miles to get to theCDT and then I’ll be at mile 273. It’s also a climb from under 5600 to about 7200 feet. 

The trail back to the trail was pretty steep. There were a fair number of tangly blowdowns and one very scary snowfield. I want around the snowfield below it but this turned out to be very treacherous and scary. The hill was very steep and the mud very slippery. I thought I might die. It took a long time to get around it. 

At long last I was back on the cdt. The cdt became a series of straight up and down mountains. It was like climbing Ranger Peak, Grass Mountain and Topa Topa bluffs over and over again. 


Mowgli and Lotus would wait for me. Mowgli said we’re a team now. That made me happy. 

In the afternoon after a 12 mile waterless stretch of trail we reached a spring. Van Gogh and the others in that group of 5 from Luna’s were there. Everyone laid out stuff to dry from last night’s rain and sat in the shade drinking and eating. Then after everything was dry off we went to climb more mountains. 

In the late afternoon we reached the yurt that is on the trail. We went inside to sight the register and look around. Then we were off to climb more mountains.


Eventually we were at the last mountain to climb, fortunately a fairly gentle one. A thunderstorm missed us. It was hot and sunny like summer. We descended to highway 200 where there was a parking lot with a toilet and Bear locker. We made camp at the parking lot in a meadow with the group of 5. A thunderstorm growled overhead. We toyed with seeing if there was a way to get pizza delivered but gave up after a while. 

The total mileage today was 20.5. It was exhausting. I was very hungry at dinner time. It’s amazing how one day to the next the cdt is completely different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment