Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happy Solstice from somewhere colder than Fairbanks

The Man works with a software engineer from India whose parents came here to Santa Barbara to visit. They are leaving early. They say that this is a very unpleasant place. They've never been anywhere so cold. Here it is the first day of summer and it's colder here than it ever is in winter in their home town.

Well, okay, they are from Mumbai, India. I've been there in January and it was in the 90s during the day. But they are right. It's the little secret of Santa Barbara. It is cold here. It feels coldest in summer when you are thinking it just shouldn't be cold anymore. Average daily temperature is 70 degrees year round. Yesterday at 5pm it was 62. Today, the first day of summer, it is 66 degrees. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 70 last Christmas Day. Summer just sucks here.

I must admit that one of the many reasons I hiked the PCT was to have a summer. I got two summers in a row and loved it. I'm not happy to be so cold here at home again.

Happy Solstice from somewhere colder than Fairbanks, Alaska. There it is 75.

P.S. I've decided to keep a log. Years ago I kept a log of how foggy it is in Santa Barbara. There was morning fog 40% of the days. This summer I think I'll keep a log of how often Fairbanks is warmer than Santa Barbara.

No comments:

Post a Comment